[jjr69] Re: Vietnam's Women Of War

  • From: "Phan, Khai KT" <Khai.T.Phan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jjr69@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jjr69@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 10:22:16 +1100

Hello Chi. Va^n,
I think you're right, the original VN society had a matriarchal structure but,
with the Chinese domination and heavy cultural influence, we adopted the
Confucian social model (tam to`ng, tu*' du*'c, etc) and went too far down the
path of tro.ng nam khinh nu*~.  However, I recall that in the old days of the
SVN government there were a few female senators in our SVN Parliament and in
the NVN Armed Forces there are quite a few high ranking female officers
(colonels and generals), so women sometimes do play an important part in our
society and, of course, as I said a few times previously, they often are the
main bread winner of the family or, at least, do contribute their share to the
family finances.
Khai