[jjr69] Re: Vietnam's Women Of War

  • From: Annette Tran <annettetran02@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jjr69@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 19:56:32 -0800 (PST)

Da.t,

< in VN, at least officially, the revolution that
these women fought for advocates the emancipation of
women and the equality of the sexes >

Note from reader: the word "officially" is very
important and makes a big difference in this sentence.

Dear Da(.t,if that word were not there, I would have
to disagree with you.
From my heartrending observations, after 4 times
visiting VN, I come to the depressing observation that
most women are mistreated, looked down, mentally,
orally abused by men. Educated or not educated, they
have to put up with their husbands'abusive behavior,
mostly due to the Vietnamese cultural obligations, AND
due to the lack of protection from the law.

P.S I'm reading Catfish and Mandala. Yes, it's
poignant, truthful, and also entertaining. Thanks for
recommending it to me.

Annette

http://mailplus.yahoo.com