[jhb] Re: Track IR for free

  • From: Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 09:02:32 +0000

One other feature I found to be against it was its accuracy. I seemed to be in a permanent slight bank. A look at the webcam view, when I spotted the trigger, showed my head does in fact incline sightly to one side. Not much but enough for the software to detect it and assume it was intentional. I couldn't spot a setting to input this as a normal vertical and I haven't much hope of being able to re programme myself. Easier to switch it off. Does Track IR do this, or is it focusing just on a single spot?

Basically, though, it's a good idea, since it uses hardware that many already have.

Gerry Winskill

On 16/01/2011 08:32, Phil Reynolds wrote:
Hi,

Managed to take a more thorough look at this last night, with not much
success unfortunately.

Whilst the movement was fluid (and in the direction it supposed to be!)
there was always a very pronounced "lag" to the movement and a rather
large "drift" at the end of each movement. By "drift" I mean a
continuation of the movement well after I'd stopped moving my head (an
extension to the lag almost). Altering the settings available to me in
terms of sensitivity (the curve settings) didn't seem to change anything
drastically and so trying to manipulate the panels whilst in this mode
became an impossibility, not being able to get the screen static in the
position required for any length of time.

The other annoyance was that when looking straight forward after a while
the view would start to rotate left, as if I were leaning my head to the
left. Only resetting the software would cure this.

I could be my webcam, I might "borrow" my daughters one when she's not
looking and have another go.

I'll keep an eye on things as this is only a beta for FSX/FS9, but
currently it's not something I'm going to be using...

Phil

On 14/01/2011 21:27, Phil Reynolds wrote:
Had a quick look earlier using FS9 before relatives turned up, so
literally installed and started up with the default settings.

In the few minutes I had the results were encouraging with movement
fairly fluid and fairly accurate. It did occasionally mess up and look
straight down which resulted in an automatic reset (the software
resets the FS view to straight forward and recommences scanning your
face).

In sure with some tweaking of settings I'll be able to get things
better, I'll report back when I have more time to do so...

Phil

On 14 January 2011 18:23, Gerry Winskill <gwinsk@xxxxxxx
<mailto:gwinsk@xxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I don't have a webcam on my FSX machine but realised I can try it
    on this setup. I have FSX on this PC too, so that I can use progs
    that come with installers, then move them across to the FSX setup,
    with no risk of its Registry being contaminated.

    At first the No Track prog wouldn't boot up, saying there was a
    .dll missing. Looking through the unzipped downloads I spotted
    there is a second prog to be installed.

    With that done it booted up and, with the upgrade having been
    installed, FSX was one of the file options. After that I realised
    the START button must be there for some reason, so pushed it and
    the webcam's blue light came on. Moving my head produced a view of
    the VC Cockpit; pity because the THTG setup on the FSX machine
    means Tom, John and I are confined, in my case choose, to using 2D
    panels.

    Perhaps it will adjust for THTG but, with just one monitor, the
    first slight snag is that the view, as I stare at the monitor, is
    what I would see looking over my right shoulder. Not flyable but I
    must be missing something?

    Gerry Winskill

    On 14/01/2011 10:04, Phil Reynolds wrote:

        Looks really good. I'll be testing this tonight with my
        webcam, thanks
        for the heads-up (and down, left, right, etc !!!)

        Phil

        On 13 January 2011 12:20, Kev Townsend <175@xxxxxxxxxxxx
        <mailto:175@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        <mailto:175@xxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:175@xxxxxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:

        Well - Sort of

        http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm

        If you have a webcam setup, this will pan the screen by
        recognising
        face movement.

        Seems cheap for £10

http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?hl=en&q=webcam&sqi=2&cid=1639333939328942718&ei=IewuTb_FHaDs2QTxhYDVCg&sa=title&ved=0CAkQ8wIwADgA#p