[jhb] Re: PC upgrade

  • From: "Peter Dodds" <pdodds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2011 11:48 +0000 (GMT Standard Time)

OK so it was 2 years ago now, but I had Maplin build me a PC from the top
of the range components in their shop. Best available at the time AMD
Processor & NVidia Graphics card (512Mb RAM) from them, plus 4Gb memory 2
x 300Gb HDs, 2 x DVD writers. Total cost £685 plus VAT. A real bargain.
Runs FSX without AI but with Autogen set at max, and with Horizon scenery
at about 25fps.  Plenty good enough for smooth flying, although I do get
the blurries occasionally. Plus it has all my work on it and lots more.
FSX runs on its own HD, but I have the scenery etc. all on the same HD,
which I am told is not the most efficient.

The Shop Manager was ace and couldn't have been more helpful. They built
the machinbe for £0, and because they wouldn't supply and install Windows
XP (Company policy) they installed the copy of XP that I went out and
bought on EBay. I sat with the Manager in their workshop while they
configured it to my liking.

I'm told that I was lucky!

Peter