[jhb] Re: ILS Problem

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jun 2009 23:19:58 +0100

I'm wondering if there is a hidden gauge in the system that is keeping Alt
Hold on.

You are right in that for G/P capture Alt Hold is first disengaged. This is
done automatically by the AP so most pilots aren't aware this is a two stage
process. Problems can arise because if Alt Hold is selected more than once
it will activate again. So if the AP is sending the command twice - or there
is a second hidden AP in action - the aircraft is getting an engage and
disengage command almost immediately.

The fact that you can reengage the Alt Hold is useful if doing things for
real. Say you have dropped to 3000ft and are just about to capture the ILS.
Wait for Alt Hold to flag off (signifying G/P capture) - then reset the
height to 200ft. Next reselect Alt Hold. The aircraft will now descend on
the G/P down to 200ft and will then level off. If it is foggy you can
therefore fly down to minimums and the aircraft will stop at DH. Should you
get visual with the runway just cancel Alt Hold and carry on with the
landing.

---

Just before I plugged in to IVAO tonight I was working away at my airfield
data. This is the usual complex affair as I have Excel, Google Earth, Memory
Map and Firefox all running and the screens are rather full. As I closed all
these down to start IVAO they uncovered the SBS radar screen working in the
background - just in time to see a B757 taking off from Ronaldsway. As 08
was in use I lost the chance of a photo - and am annoyed that I missed its
arrival earlier. I'm surprised to see such a big aircraft here..