[jhb] Re: Andreas

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 11:47:47 +0100

Just checked my records and I last flew into Andreas in 1981 whilst coming
back from the Jurby Air Show. It was the only time I got all three Manx
airfields in my log book on the same day - Jurby was only opened for the one
event in those days.

When I started here Jurby was still the official relief airfield for
Ronaldsway should the latter close through accident or weather. There was
still an NDB letdown procedure for Jurby at that time. Sadly it was deemed
too expensive to keep Jurby open for maybe two or three days activity each
year and they withdrew everything - I never actually got operational
experience there. I don't count the yearly air shows as they were completely
different - very busy but great fun. I loved to clear Tornado's for a high
speed pass with afterburners full on.. <vbg>