[jhb] Re: Andreas

  • From: "Fossil" <fossil@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <jhb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 10:42:40 +0100

Andreas was essentially derelict from the 1960's onwards. It was not used as
an airfield for a long time despite Lionel trying to attract customers. Some
of us had permission to fly in during the 1970's but I only tried it once -
the surface was terrible. It wasn't just grass growing through the concrete,
it had wheel size holes in the surface and FOD lying all over the place.

It was only the gliding/microlight activity that kicked it into action and
they had to tidy up the surface runway themselves. The hangars are indeed
cheapo affairs and the clubhouse an old Portakabin. My photos of that period
show Andreas in a very bad state and more farmland than airfield. It seems
not to have changed much but I doubt anyone is going to fork out for
bringing it up to even reasonable condition.

Manx Flyers had a ban on the place after they had to replace two props badly
dented by the loose surface.