Re: what is best way to learn JAWS and the pc as a total newbie?

  • From: "Adrian Spratt" <Adrian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 11:39:22 -0500

Rick,

As others have responded, my facility with Windows and JAWS leapt forward after listening to the then Henter-Joyce cassette tapes, which other listers say are just as good in FS's current versions.

I'm picking up on your idea that this newcomer to computers is in his/her fifties and hasn't worked with a computer before. Even these people have a visual sense of how computers work, despite not knowing how to produce the same results. I think it's important to demystify the aural aspect of JAWS. I'm struck by how often people are amazed that computers can speak words, when to my mind it's just as amazing that computers can turn words into semblances of print. Such people will have a notion of functions like drag and drop. It's important to make clear that most visual functions have aural counterparts, in that case select, copy and paste. At the same time, people who have had vision shouldn't ignore that they have certain advantages when it comes to working with computers. For example, they will have visual memories of what bold and italicized text look like and what role they serve in written work.

But beyond that, what Ray, Lois and Bruce write is true and very helpful.