Talking American Heritage

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "JFW List" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 20:43:54 -0800

I've just been googling around to find some descriptive information about
this product, but so far there's one thing I can't figure out.  Is this
actually a self-voicing piece of software,in the sense that Open Book is?  I
read a university library's instructions about how to use the library copy
of it, but all it referred to was what the user would see on the screen.
These control buttons up here, this field for showing definitions there, and
so forth.  Not a word about it speaking as it displays.

Can anyone who uses this product explain how it works, in that sense?  Does
it chatter away speaking everything you type and read in it, conflicting
with Jaws?  If so, do you have to turn off Jaws while you use it?  Also, if
it is self voicing, why was it developed?  To help people with cognitive
problems so they could see the words and definitions but be helped to get
them in mind better because the computer spoke everything aloud?

thanks.