re: Strange behavior in Windows Media Player 11

  • From: "Alan Clendinen" <alanclendinen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 04:48:09 -0400

Chip,

Whenever I click on a "Listen" link to hear a sample MP3 on amazon.com, I am
prompted to download or open the file. If I choose to download, I end up
with a file which has a ".M3U" extension, and clicking on this file launches
Windows Media Player, which then gives me the following error:
"Windows Media Player cannot connect to the server. The server
name might not be correct, the server might not be available, or
your proxy settings might not be correct."

If I instead choose to open the file instead of downloading it, Windows
Media Player 11 tells me it cannot find the file.

When I go  to the Tools/Options menu in Windows Media Player 11, and click
on the File Types tab, I see that among the file types listed, there is a
"MP3 Audio File" and the description for it says it handles files with the
M3U extension.

My JFW version 7.0 does not indicate there are any check boxes on any of the
file types in this list, but there is a button labeled "Select All." I have
attempted to un-select the "MP3 Audio File" item, but when I go back to
amazon.com and try to listen to a sample song, I still get the same problem.
I am guessing that if that "MP3 Audio File" in the file types section can be
disabled, it will solve the problem, but how is this accomplished?

Alan

Chip wrote:

I haven't seen the behavior you're describing.  Could there be a
checkbox, when you try to play an mp3, that asks you something like
"always ask me about this type of file?".  If so, maybe you can change
it's default value so that it won't ask you about mp3 files any more?

Windows media player 11 does not normally cause this, as I use it
routinely to play mp3 files online.

hth,

Chip

Chip Orange