Re: Spyware, not really jfw reelated but so what

  • From: "curmudgeon" <one2three4five6@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 May 2005 23:43:08 -0700

don remeber where i got this

First use:

Go to Spybot Search and Destroy on your programs menu and

arrow down on the submenu to SpyBot S&D for blind users and enter.

You can change settings at

anytime from the navigation menu, settings, enter on settings.

You will be presented with a settings treeview.

You can arrow up and down through these and they will indicate

on or off and you can press the space bar to change it.

Press L until you hear look and feel.

Arrow down to optimized for blind users and make sure it is on.

Press P until you hear

play alerts on these occasions.  Arrow down to when spies were found and
press the space bar.

This will bring up a dialog where you can pick a wav file

to be played when the scan is finished and spyware is found.

Using Spybot S&D

Now that you have Spybot set up, run it again from the icon

on your programs menu for blind users.

Enter on the check for problems button.

You can press insert numpad 3 to hear the progress and it will

indicate it is running.

When finished, the status line will change to indicate the

number of problem found.

If you use the jaws cursor and find and click on one of the

items in the listiview, you can then return to the pc cursor

and up and down arrow and do a say line to review the items in the list.

Then press alt F for fix selected problems.

You will get a confirmation dialog asking if you want to remove

the items, enter on  yes.

At this time I usually run the program again until in the listview

it says congratulations no problems were found.

You can go to the file menu and enter on check for problems to

start a new scan.

Updating Spybot.

When you run the program, tab and enter on the button for search

for updates.

You should be presented with a listview of updates available  if there

are any.

go to the actions menu and enter on  download updates

by, pressing alt and the letter, a,

If you press insert numpad 3 it should indicate what updates are

being downloaded.

When finished downloading updates, the status line should

change to Program started.

To update the definitions manually, download the latest defintion

file from the link on the JFWLite programs page that says:

Spybot Definitions Update File Download.

Run the file and press the space bar on the install button.

When it is done installing the updates, press the space bar on the

close button.

Quarantined items.

In XP, on my system, they are in the folder:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search &

Destroy\Recovery

In Windows 98, look for the folder:

C:\windows\application data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Recovery

You can do a search to find the recovery folder.

You can also get to the information in the program by tabbing to

the recovery button and hitting enter.  But I had to apply a custom

highlight assignment to get that listview to read with the PC cursor.

But then you can press the windows application key or go to the

actions menu to purge or recover the items.

But probably the easiest way to delete the quarantined items is to go

directly to the folder mentioned above.

Installation:

If you use Windows XP or Windows 2000 you will have to use narrator

to at least get past the license agreement.  Otherwise you will get an

access violation.

When you install the program, you will get a welcome screen,

then the next screen is the license agreement.  You can use

alt A to check the I accept radio button.

The next screen tells where the program will be installed.

C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

Now on the next screen you need to make a selection.

It will say Full installation

Tab to the listview and arrow down to "icons for blind users"

and check it with the space bar.

Then proceed with the rest of the installation.