Re: Problem with jaws clipboard and OE

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 12:14:04 -0700

Adrian,

Very interesting. So the way this reply directly to sender function works is
sort of like a macro that copies the sender's address (rather than the
listserv address)to the Jaws clipboard and then pastes it into your To:
header field. Clever. Main thing I get from learning that is an explanation
for the delay I always notice when I execute this handy function. It takes a
couple of seconds of lag time for the address to copy, the email to begin a
reply, and jaws to then copy the address into the To: line of the reply to
probably overwrite the address that, say, Outlook Express, has already
inserted there. That's a bit of stuff that has to happen before you finally
hear "Edit," letting you know that you're ready to begin typing your reply.
The delay has always made me feel so insecure that the function is actually
working that, more often than not, I inconvenience myself by shit tabbing up
to the To: field to reassure myself that my reply's addressed as I hope it
is. Now, I'm not meaning to be snide or dismissive of FS's efforts to
customize Jaws with nice features like this, but this fits the category of
"jury rigging" pretty well. it's cute, though, and just as long as it works,
I'm a happy puppy.

  From: Richard sherman

  Hi,
  Yesterday, I had to compose an email which required me to gather some info
and put it on the jaws clipboard. Later, I tried to reply directly to a
sender using the keystrokes of inssert + shift + R and jaws went silent. I
had to use narrator to find out that the dialog box asking to delete the
contents of the clipboard was there. Once I replied to that, jaws came back.

  Thinking this was strange I decide to test it again immediately and it
worked just fine. then I gathered some info and copied it to the jaws
clipboard and it did it again. I can just hit the letter y or n without
verbal feedback and then jaws works fine.

  to my knowledge, this problem just started yesterday and I don't remember
jaws working like this before. Also tried it with jaws 8 and same problem.

  any suggestions?

  using jaws 7.1 on an XP pro system with all the updates. Also using
outlook express 6.

  Rich

6:20 PM