RE: Overheating

  • From: "Jablonski, James (LNI)" <JABL235@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 10:37:03 -0800

Peter,
We mostly just run with the sound system that is built into the mainboard
for speech synthesis. All of our ZoomText and Dragon users, and one of our
JAWS users do this.  We have two JAWS users on external DECtalk Express
units.  All but one Dragon (voice recognition) user are on desktop systems
though, not laptops.

We had two mainboard sound systems fail in desktop PCs.  These were not
accompanied by overheats though - just popping and self-generated garbled
sounds.  The PCs were still under warranty, so we swapped them out.  We used
the mainboard sound systems on the replacement machines.  The DECtalks have
never failed and we've been using the same units for almost ten years now.

My hardware guy tells me that DELL told us that they did not design their
laptops as full workstations, just the desktops.  He says that's what DELL
told us, but he looked pretty skeptical when he said it.  Seems weird to me.
Jabo