RE: Mike's Hike

  • From: "Jeffrey Schwartz" <sidney.schwartz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 08:29:49 -0500

Hi Mike,

Good for you!  One blind man, a recovering alcoholic, wrote a book about
having done it.  I think that he did it with a guide dog.  I found his book
a little hard to believe.  There are spots where one must climb a ladder.
Hard to picture getting a dog to do this.  I was told that he generally
hooked up with small groups, but he didn't mention this in his book.  The
young woman who raised my last guide dog took a year off after high school
and made the hike.  She got permission from the guide dog school to take
another dog, almost ready to go back to the school for his formal education.
The dog carried packs with his food etc.  He got bogged down in some snow
and her father flew down and took the dog back.  She completed the trip.
What are you using for gps?

Best wishes,

Jeff

  _____