Re: Jaws And Clipboard

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 16:55:47 -0700

Katherine,

Oh, wow. I'm sorry. I assumed you were probably having this problem with
Version 8-something. Of course it's disconcerting. You're not supposed to
have to do a copy or cut blindly, so to speak, and then have to check. I was
only expressing a degree of good humor and forbearance about it because it
doesn't happen to me all day long, and everyone else with Version 8 has
similar problems, and we all hope for a fix one of these days.

But with Version 6, I don't know. I used 6.2, and no such problem. Version
7.0, the same. So this sounds like it's worth either an email to tech
support or a phone call, as you prefer.

The one variable here is maybe Standby Mode. I've never used it, and in fact
can't remember what benefits it's supposed to confer. But as I suppose it
involves making some temporary change to Windows, maybe it has something to
do with it, so that when Windows comes up out of Standby mode and Jaws
revives as well,something gets muddled in Jaws for some reason.

Personally, I'm not bothering with this complaint because of what I said
above, and I've spent more time with tech support this version than I care
to talk about. But if I were you, I'd invest the effort (and maybe the dime
for the phone call, if conversation's your preference) and ask about it. One
thing I hope you'll remember: As soon as you begin the talk with the Tier 1
person you reach, ask for a trouble ticket number so your issue immediately
gets logged in and reported under that number. And if the person seems more
befuddled than you are comfortable with, ask them to escalate your issue to
Tier 2 and have someone call you back soon. Don't fool around with the Tier
1 people longer than makes sense if all they do is keep asking you to do  a
Jaws repair, uninstall and reinstall, and that's all the person can think
of. You need someone who understands the programming more than that so they
can develop an educated hypothesis.

I say this after hours on the phone of having been too trusting and polite a
number of times and getting nowhere fast, even with problems that it turned
out were indeed soluble if someone had the expertise to deal with them.

Daniel