Re: JAWS latest trick - To Select, or Not To Select: a Dual Personality

  • From: "Dave Carlson" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2010 07:31:25 -0700

Here's what I found, and it seems a bit of a dual personality in Windows. I'm
using XP Pro, BTW.

1. In an open E-Mail (not one you're editing, but one you are reading),
pressing Ctrl-a will select everything in the message and it's reported as
"1234 characters up to <last line of text>". It can be confirmed by using the
keystroke shift-JAWS-NumPad DownArrow. Then press Ctrl-a again and you hear
"1234 characters up to <first line of text>". You can verify that nothing is
selected. So in this case it's a toggle, and note the very subtle difference in
the JAWS message. In the select case it read down to the last line of text. in
the unselect case it reads up to the first line in the text. Very interesting.

2. Now if you're in an E-Mail message you're composing, the toggle does not
work. I just tried it. Very interesting.

3. In a list like in Windows Explorer, pressing Ctrl-a will select all in the
list, but pressing again will not unselect. Again it's not a toggle in that
scenario. Very interesting.

This is just my 5-minute quick test and there could be other inconsistencies,
as well.

Dave