Re: JAWS & Skype Headset

  • From: "Dana S. Leslie" <dsleslie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 15:53:49 -0400

Jerry is quite right. And, in fact, the only way I've been able (partially) to resolve my problem is to switch my Windows default audio device from the USB IMic Audio System to an internal C-Media sound card, which, since it's not USB, does not get preempted by the headset. I do, though (as someone else here suggested), have to close and restart JAWS every time I reboot, before JAWS will speak through my desktop speakers, rather than the headset.

But that still leaves me with the problem that I cannot, now, play Realplayer or Winamp through my IMic, since it is no longer the default device. I've been told (third-hand) that RealPlayer cannot be configured to use a device other than the Windows default as its default audio output device. Can anyone confirm if that is, in fact, true? Also, can anyone direct me to step-by-step instructions for reconfiguring Winamp, so it will use a device other than the Windows default device as its default audio output device (I've been told that this IS possible, with Winamp.)?

Thank you.

Blessed Be,

Dana

D. S. Leslie, née C. R. Guttman