JAWS 5.0 and Word 2003 disaster

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:57:16 -0800

Hi,
Afriend of mine is using Word 2003 with JAWS 5.0 on a Toshiba laptop running
Windows XP. She can't get documents to read at all, and we've tried setting
the compatibility mode and playing with other settings. No joy. Plus, when
she changes the compatibility setting, it reverts back every time she
restarts word. It's a real drag. We've also run a Word repair and a JAWS
repair. No dice.

I, by contrast, am using Word 2003 with JAWS 5.0 on a Dell 4600 desktop
running XP and everything is just peachy as far as I can tell. I have no
trouble at all writing and reading documents. I'd like to get her going with
Word 2003 but need some good tips on how to solve the problem other than the
usual zoom setting to 75%, ensuring that the window's maximized, the obvious
stuff. Got any?

Cheers!
Tom