Re: Help installing second sound card

  • From: "Cher Bosch" <Cher.Bosch@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 07:50:49 -0600

Roden-  This is just the info I needed- thank you so much for taking the
time and effort to reply.  Apparently some of the TNS notes are wrong
though in saying that JAWS will use the first sound card.  This must be
the source of so much confusion on this point.  See example below:

Bulletin Type: TSN Number: 13149
Date Posted: 09/25/2002
Product Name: JAWS
Version: 4.5 plus
Category: Sound Cards

Short Description:
On computers with multiple sound cards, if Automatically Start JAWS is
set, JAWS uses the first installed sound card.

Problem:
If two separate sound cards are installed on the same computer, and if
JAWS 4.02 or higher is set to start automatically, JAWS uses the card
that was INSTALLED
first. This occurs even if you set the second sound card as the default
device.
For example, if you first installed a SB Audigy, then installed the
SoundBlaster PCI as a second sound card. You set the SoundBlaster as
your Default Device
within Control Panel. when JAWS is started automatically, it still uses
the first card, the Audigy.

Solution:
If you exit and then restart JAWS, it then uses the Default soundcard
as set in Control Panel.
A longer term solution would be to remove both sound cards and install
the preferred card first, then the second card, then reinstall JAWS.

Search Our Knowledge Base

1. So then, must the .ini modification be redone each time a new
version of JAWS is installed?
2. And, do the little JAWS build updates require the same .ini file
modification?

Thanks once more!
Cher

>>> "Roden" <info.rczenterprise@xxxxxxxxx> 02/15/07 5:07 PM >>>

ATTN:

See each response below:

1) If I have someone install a second card, is it correct that JAWS
will remain on the default (original) card?

Ans:
No, It will use the new sound card as the default.  But, You can change
it by modifying the .ini file.

2) If I go into control panel and change windows and all other sounds
to the new card, will JAWS still be using the old card?  (I'll perhaps
need more specific
instructions for this, if this is correct.)

Ans:
yes, it is possible to separate weather your old sound card will use by
JAWS and your other sound skeam will come out to your external sound
card.

Like what I did, I'm using a laptop that has a built-in sound card
(SoundMax Digital Audio) and a Creative Sound Blaster USB External sound
card (Creative SoundLive 24 Beat), in which, JAWS uses the built-in
sound card and my other sound skeam uses the external sound card.  So,
everytime I'm going to play a song or watching a movie, the sound comes
out through my external sound card.

3) So, if the above is true, then is there no need to modify the JAWS
.ini file?

Ans:
As I mentioned in the above statement, you need to modify the .ini
file.  Please check it out:

1. Open the .ini file.
2. Look for the list of installed synthesizer.
3. Once you found it, look for the line that says,
"Synth1Driver=Eloq".
4. Below the code, type the code below:

Synth1Port=(Your sound card)

In my .ini file, since, I'm using the Soundmax Digital Audio, the line
look like this,

Synth1Port=SoundMax Digital Audio

So, JAWS uses my built-in sound card.  Once it is success, save the
changes in .ini file and restart JAWS.

You can find the exact name of your sound card under Sound and Audio
devices in Control Panel.

4) Since there were sometimes issues with JAWS stuttering with the
SoundBlaster Live cards, I'm thinking to leave JAWS on the original
on-board card, and
use the SB Live for music, etc.  Does this seem logical?

Ans:
yes...

5) Will all of this enable me to turn down loud music on web pages and
adjust JAWS volume separately, as I hope?

Ans:
yes, it is possible.  Once you configure JAWS to use your built-in
sound card, you can adjust each sound card in Volume control.  To adjust
each sound card:

1. Open volume control.
2. Since, you are using your external sound card as your default sound
card for audio skeam, and if you want to adjust the level volume of your
windows sound skeam, you can directly adjust within the default sound
card.  but, if you want to adjust the level volume of JAWS, go to
option, and look for Properties.  there you will find the list of
available sound card installed on your pc.  Choose the sound card that
JAWS used.  Then, press enter.  The adjustment controls will be
activated for JAWS.  You can adjust the level volume for jaws.

Hope This Helps

Roden

1) If I have someone install a second card, is it correct that JAWS
will remain on the default (original) card?

2) If I go into control panel and change windows and all other sounds
to the new card, will JAWS still be using the old card?  (I'll perhaps
need more specific instructions for this, if this is correct.)

3) So, if the above is true, then is there no need to modify the JAWS
.ini file?

4) Since there were sometimes issues with JAWS stuttering with the
SoundBlaster Live cards, I'm thinking to leave JAWS on the original
on-board card, and use the SB Live for music, etc.  Does this seem
logical?

5) Will all of this enable me to turn down loud music on web pages and
adjust JAWS volume separately, as I hope?

Please feel free to take this off list if appropriate and mail me
directly at the address below.  Thanks a million to anyone who can
assist.

Cher Bosch
Services for the Blind & Visually Impaired
Cher.Bosch@xxxxxxxxxxx
865-594-6060 X1129