Re: Hello Tom, Thanks very much - Going to instal DSL anything particular with JAWS?

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 11:42:05 -0800

Hi Alan,
You wrote:

Hello Tom
Thanks for your response!!
I am just now checking my JAWS messages Folder, and I appreciate your help. Well, I understand a lot of what you write, not all but "Keep it simple" I understand (Smile) I do not know what a "router " is sorry, missed that somewhere in my 20 years of computing (Smile once again)

Okay, let me see if I can explain this simply without a lot of technical mumbo-jumbo. Let's say you have a DSL or cable connection coming into your house/apartment, and let's say that your computer will be sharing that connection with other computers on the premises. The easiest way to do this is by using a router. The router connects to the DSL or cable modem and is given a unique address on the Internet when the Internet connection is up and running. . It also has several connectors for cables which will run to your computer and the others in your house. It may also have wireless capability so that other devices can connect to the router without using cables. Okay, so you have logged on to your computer, and when the router sees your machine, it is given a unique address to which data is routed. When someone else in the house fires up his/her machine and logs on to the Internet, his/her machine is also given a unique address to which data is routed. And so it goes for every other machine that connects to the router. Let's say that you're checking your e-mail or doing a Google search, and let's say that the other person is doing an online game at a completely different web site. Both machines are sending requests for data and in turn receiving data, and it's basically the router's job to play traffic cop, as it were, It ensures that both of you can send out separate requests for information through the common Internet connection that you're sharing, and it also ensures that the data coming to you is directed back to you properly and doesn't get sent to the other machine by mistake.

The router can also manage the task of logging on to the Internet for you and keeping the Internet connection up and running. It also can ensure that no machines out there on the Internet can send unauthorized data to you or try to get access to your files.
It's a pretty neat little box that's extremely handy.

Hopefully that clarifies things a bit. Write back if you have more questions.

Tom