Re: Going to instal DSL anything particular with JAWS?

  • From: "Tom Lange" <trlange@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 21:15:13 -0800

Hi Alan,
You wrote:

Hello Folks,

I have been using a 56K modem  with a Dial Out ISP account for ages now.

Ouch!  How could you have put up with dialup for so long?

I finally broke down and ordered DSL and I am waiting for the Modem and the software to arive.

I am using JAWS 9.0 and Windows XP.
Is there anything I should be aware of before I try doing the software installation for the DSL account?

Yeah, and I have to preface what I'm about to tell you by saying that this is just my opinion based on my personal experience. Your mileage may vary, as some would say. Odds are you probably don't need special software, especially if, as I suspect, Bellsouth is now part of AT&T. Are you getting a DSL modem, a modem/router combination, or are you going to add a router later? Whatever the case, you will probably receive a lot of junk with that software package that you don't need. For example, you won't need an e-mail client since you already have one, you don't need any doctored version of Internet Explorer or Firefox with any added bells and whistles, and the connection manager component can be a pain in the butt.

Back when I signed up for DSL with Pacbell, which is now AT&T, I had special connection software which worked okay but it added a layer of complexity that I didn't need, so I ditched it, bought a Linksys router and configured it to manage my logon and keep the connection alive. Having a router in the mix also eliminated the problem of ever having to worry about an accessible firewall, since the Linksys lets me operate in full stealth mode even with its default settings. I haven't had a lick of trouble with it.

Assuming that you're going to install an ethernet card, or use an ethernet adapter that you already have built-in, then run CAT5 cable from the ethernet adapter into the modem and have the modem connected to the phone jack, and, assuming that you can get all the necessary settings and parameters from the provider's help pages, you may be able to use Windows XP's Network connection wizard to walk you through everything you need to set up a broadband DSL connection, no fuss no muss. If you can't find the necessary info on their help pages, call up their tech guys and insist that they tell you how to set everything up using native Windows facilities.

A bit nervous, things are working just so good with my computer system, I do not want to mess anything up!

That's all the more reason to shy away from any software that they may give you. Keep it simple and straightforward and you'll be all right.

Good luck.

CHEERS!
Tom