Re: Format question

  • From: "Francis Daniels" <fdaniels@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 16:29:42 -0700

I use block quote notifications in the results page of a Google search to indicate that an indented result is directly related to the result above it. That is, if you have a result item and an indented item below it, JAWS will let you know the "block quote start" and "block quote end" item is related directly to the above item.

Here's an example:
National Braille Press - NBP National Braille Press offers blind children the power of literacy, ... Learn about our children's braille book club here -- an image of a student reading ...
www.nbp.org/ - 11k - Oct 13, 2005 - Cached - Similar pages

block quote start
NBP - Children's Braille Book Club National Braille Press offers blind children the power of literacy, and blind adults access to the printed word.
www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/cbbc/ - 12k - Oct 13, 2005 - Cached - Similar pages
block quote end

The first result, National Braille Press, is not indented. The result below it, NBP, is indented and is related to the result above it. Google shows it and JAWS reads it as such, letting you know by saying it is a block quote.

I find this extremely useful in search tasks. I cleaned up some of the things, such as where the links are, but I think you get the picture.

Francis