Few opinions on recent thread...

  • From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2010 16:56:55 -0700

Hi list,
Some opinions here:
Summarizing what we've seen here, it is too early in the lawsuit stage to
find out the actual result of this situation - hopefully something might
come out that would enhance the livelihood of FS users.
As for the original situation at hand, it is possible to use Arabic voices
under Real Speak to read Arabic characters, but it requires special tweaks
to write this language. In my case, I use Korean Real Speak voice to read
Korean text, but I used special tweaks to write that language (along with a
help from a Korean screen reader that I'm using).
As for introducing bugs intentionally, I'm not sure. It could be a mutator
or an accessor problem when JAWS obtains screen info or character map, or it
could be a typo on handling the synth data file (something with file output
algorithm). In my opinion, just because one thing does not work does not
mean there is a "secret" intentions of introducing a bug. After learning
about computer science for a number of years, I can understand now why
people tend to "scream" at us - the programmers and engineering students: we
expect perfect outcome, which is not possible all the time. As a list member
on the Blind Programming forum said, "programmers spend 90% of their time
debugging a program." - and it is true even for a programming student like I
am (I spent a whole day finding bugs for a programming assignment
executable; turns out it was a loop problem).
In connection with our posts, I understand both sides of the argument. Users
want a product that works fine with their environment; however, not all
things are possible, and fixing something may introduce new errors, which is
the reason why "software verification" and user testing is here - to find
out what's going on and come up with something to fix it. Even programmers
(like myself) are users of another product and find ourselves complaining
about not only products from others, but also get frustrated with our own
programs. I could go into details of how software development and lifecycle
works (in connection with JFW), but since I see that many people are not
familiar with technical details, I'll leave the thread with this comment:
don't lose hope.
P.S. If you really want me to post my experience as a programming student
creating a program, let me know so that I can post that article here (or as
part of my blog post).
Sincerely,
Joseph S. Lee
University of California, Riverside