RE: Dictionary Manager

  • From: "Chris Jenkins" <saveup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 15:27:48 -0500

Hello Adrian.

You are probably correct when you say Kerry probably wanted to change a
single entry back to default.  There is no way that I know of to do that.
However if you are using Jaws for Windows version 8 you're able to disable
your custom settings.  I was thinking that it would be easier to take note
of the changes that you have made in your dictionary file and write them
down in Notepad and make the changes over again in the new copy of the file.
I thought this would be easier than combing through the default file.  I
don't know about you but the speech synthesizers that I use suit me well
enough that I do not need to make very many changes to the dictionary file.

If I needed to make many changes to the dictionary file I would create my
own dictionary file and edit it in a text editor.  Taking note that the Jaws
dictionary uses "."  To determine where the phrase you want to correct ends
and the correction begins.  An example of the format is pasted below.

.washingtonpost.Washington Post.

I hope this helps.

Chris.

From: "Chris Jenkins" <saveup@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hello Kerry.

To revert back to the factory default dictionary file open the start menu,
programs, the Jaws group you are interested in changing, explore jaws,
explore my settings. This will open your personal settings folder where you
can look for default.JDF. Once you have this file highlighted you can delete
the file. Jaws for Windows will no longer see this file in your personal
settings folder so it will use the copy from within the shared settings
folder. All of this assumes that you were smart and did not overwrite the
copy that was in the shared settings directory. By default the dictionary
manager will first check and see if there is a file in the personal settings
folder and if there is not a file in the personal settings folder it will
read from the file from the shared settings folder. Once the changes are
made it will write the modified file to your personal settings folder.

I hope this helps.

Chris.