Re: Clicking on buttons

  • From: "Yardbird" <yardbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 14:21:54 -0700

Barbara,
I'm sorry but I don't know the best logical thing to say. I think I
mentioned that I don't recall a control labeled as a button ever being a
link that was supposed to take me to a different Web page or, I don't think,
even open one in a new window. When you have that text you were trying to
get, you might tab around looking for a button that says Close, and then see
if clicking on that returns you to the original page.

.  Also, if you know the URL in the address bar where you start, then
checking  it again after you press this control to see if it's changed would
be one way to know if you've been taken to a different web page.

Of course, the regular way wouldn't be just to listen for some sound effect,
or at least I don't get it when you say you've lost some sound effect that
used to tell you a new Web page was loading. What I *do* hear is Internet
Explorer announcing its destination and its progress somewhere on the page,
I think on the status line, which you can deliberately make speak with
insert down arrow.

I didn't mean to further confuse you, but I honestly didn't see how pressing
a button would have taken someone to a new Web page in the first place,
unless Jaws also said "link" as it identified the button. As I said before,
the first thing I would do is activate that button to get the text (the
"information's you're talking about) appear, and then explore all over that
page to see if in fact you're still on the very same web page, but some
extra material has appeared in that location on it because of your having
pressed the button.

Now don't let this discourage you from being curious to find out what's
actually happening, so you're not permanently mystified, but I'm partially
sighted in such a way that, although I can't read what a Web page says or
locate its links and controls without Jaws to guide me, I can see when a web
page changes to a new one. Even though all I can make out is light and dark
on the screen, this is very obvious for me visually. But I rely primarily on
jaws, after all, and honestly, it always speaks what I described about the
new URL it's going to and the progress of the new page's opening. So I'm
mystified in my own way about why you're mystified.

Sorry if none of this is much help. Hope I've explained what I am able to
clearly.