AW: How many sighted people think the blinds use computers )was jaws speech recognition software)

  • From: "ChB" <chr1s64@xxxxxx>
  • To: <jfw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 23:44:16 +0200

I have a hard time trying to get people to realise jaws is NOT a speech
INPUT device lol.
They think most times that the problem for blind people is the input into a
computer not the reading of the screen lol.
So when I tell that screenreaders are to tell me what is actually going on
on a screen and not for me to talk to a computer they are amazed. And yes it
is hard for the majority of sighted people to even think blind people use
computers in the first place.

But the real challenge *grin* is to explain what my braille display does and
how it work with the screenreading software. Most of my friends though got a
pretty good concept now how I work the pc. I even let them try out on my pc
sometimes to get a feel for it I tell them to close their eyes...then they
are totally lost :)
But at least they no longer think that jaws is just a movie :)

Regards
chrissy

Alternative archives located at: