[jewel] How to help?

  • From: thisguyisi <thisguyisi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jewel-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 17:01:09 -0700

So,

I've used NeXTSTEP. That's where I learned how to use the www. Learned
AutoCAD on Solaris. Then got stuck with Windows for various reasons.
Didn't get the chance to play with OPENSTEP/win32.

Currently have Windows 2000 Professional (modified to function as
NeXTily as possible via WinStep shell enhancements (NextSTART(A NeXTSTEP
menu system clone)/WorkShelf(An OPENSTEP 4 EUI (Experimental User
Interface) Shelf clone)), CubeDock (A NeXTSTEP Dock clone), and
WinBrowser (FileViewer clone).

Have been extremely impressed with the UNIX world since getting exposure
to NeXTSTEP with it's UNIX compatible Mach/SingleServerBSD kernel
personality, and Solaris, but haven't been able to "figure out" UNIX by
myself to install/use/etc.

Also, I have CorelLinux via Corel Linux For Dummies (book w/ OS install
CD) Which I have used and liked.

I guess I should point out that I am Linguistically Inclined rather than
Mathematically Inclined, which makes Programming Lanuages appear rather
Greek and Russian to Yours Truly. Had I been permitted to Really Play
with the computer duing the formative years, perhaps I would be
comfortable with coding already, but the truth is I have yet to learn a
programming language other than US English.

Consequently that makes XML rather interesting to Yours Truly, and its
cross-platform purposes echo the JAVA and OPENSTEP initiatives which
appeal to somebody (again, Yours Truly) who are interested in Concepts,
Interfaces, Commuinication (being such a Gemini), and Universality.

A couple of things I "Really Dig (TM)" about computing: the WWW,
Object-Orientedness, Zip Archives, MP3 files./WinAmp, *.PNG files, which
have "rescued" web users of the LZW compression scheme/*.GIF proprietary
bondage evils, Mac OS cleanliness, UNIX dependability (not really into
the Obscurity), OS add-ons which enhance OSes with cool functionalities,
and recently Mozilla, Phoenix, and my Palm OS Handspring Treo 300
running on Sprint PCS.

However... I'm Bored. I need a hobby, and my primary hobby/passion,
Photography, is letting me down, because my shutterbug must have caught
a bug which is making it lazy/staying home and in bed and not tickling
me with ideas for an outlet. AEWM/Jewel-Obj-C have design intents that
echo my personal design and style interests: they appear to be fashioned
to be asutere, uncluttered, clean, and well-rendered in what it is that
they do.

I am interested in helping out in the project, and while I don't have
any programming experience (unless you consider adding 3rd-party XML
hacks to my browser experience) I am very teachable, and intellectually
oriented. I am used to dealing with tedious bullsh!t from a variety of
Auditing/Documentation/Document-Control/Shipping&Recieving/Customs
Clearance positions. I also have a good imagination and sense of
minimalism/Spartanhood which seems to be the direction of the project's
aims.

Did I mention I am Bored? So if there is any fashion in which you guys
think I can be of use to the project, other than just initing ideas and
being an audience for your own ideas, I would welcome the distraction
from my unemployment, and the challenge of designing something interesting.

-thisguyisi