[jawsscripts] JAWS FindColors Function in IE 10

  • From: "John P. Thomas" <johnt@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jawsscripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 16:23:11 -0400

Hi scripters,

I tried to get the FindColors function to work in an Internet Explorer window
about 5 years ago, and gave up, because I couldn't get it to work for me. I
found some other solutions to my scripting tasks and just assumed the function
was broken. So here I am again looking at the same function once again, because
my employer is about to release a new internet based administration website for
customer service staff. At the moment, it looks like the  GetColors function
would be the easiest method for gaining access, but well I still can't get it
to work for me. Here is my code. Any suggestions? I am using JAWS 13, with
Windows 7, and IE10.

;This first test works properly. It verified that the background color is white.
If GetColorBackground () == RGBStringToColor ("255255255") Then
SayString ("white back ground")
Else
SayString ("not white")
EndIf

;This second test works properly. it verified the color of the text at the
cursor to be red.
If GetColorText () == RGBStringToColor ("255000000") Then
SayString ("red text")
Else
SayString ("not red")
EndIf

; This next function does not work.  It should find red text on a white
background and then place the JAWS cursor at the location of the desired color.
 FindColors (RGBStringToColor ("255000000"), RGBStringToColor ("255255255"),
s_top,1)

;This final test searches for the combination of red on white with a test to
verify if it was found. It always fails even if the cursor is on the desired
color.
; I eliminated the background color from the search to simplify it.
if FindColors (RGBStringToColor ("255000000"), IgnoreColor, s_next, 0) == true
Then
SayString ("found the color")
Else
SayString ("color not found")
JAWSCursor ()
SayLine () ;reads the line where the JAWS cursor was placed.
PCCursor ()
EndIf

Thanks,
John