[jaws-uk] Re: TROUBLE WITH WEIGHT WATCHERS' SITE

  • From: "Phil Medway" <philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 10:29:11 +0100

Hi Val,

You are welcome to use my comments.

If you manage to achieve any contact with the actual creator of the web
site, you could point them in the direction of a couple of sites where they
can get further information on making web sites more accessible.

http://www.w3c.org/wai/
is the site where the internationally recognised web accessibility standards
can be found.

http://www.adobe.com/accessibility/
has some information on how to use flash in an accessible manner.

I am the ICT accessibility developer for Oxfordshire county council.  This
is, essentially, an advisory role in that I rarely get the chance to write
anything which the public will see but our web team is very open to making
our site as accessible as possible given the restraints which are sometimes
imposed upon us.  Occasionally, however, we hand work out to external
developers and it is these who are the most difficult to reach with the
accessibility message.  I find that it is better not to attack them
breathing fire and brimstone but rather to take an educational approach.
Once a web developer is shown a couple of examples of the difficulties which
we suffer by the omission of simple things such as an alternative
description on a graphic link, they soon realise that the adjustment isn't
so impossible.

Many companies pay a great deal of cash to have their sites written for them
and this may be the case with Weight watchers.  This makes the job of
reaching the developer almost impossible and leads the company to think that
it will cost them dear if they have to go back to the developer to ask for
changes which they see no reason to implement.

I think that the constructive friendly approach works best when dealing with
companies who don't necessarily know the technical details of their own
site.

Regards,

Phil Medway

philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx