[jaws-uk] Re: Information please

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will-pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 19:36:42 -0000

Hi Nigel;

I think that's something we all want.  The lack of accessibility is partly
due to a lack of enthusiasm and understanding of the importance of
accessibility, but also a lack of knowledge on how to make things
accessible.  It's the latter, where we as end users of access technology,
can help out.  Most software goes through alpha and beta testing before it's
released, and if you can get on one of these programs, they're a great way
to educate developers about what's inaccessible with their programs.

If you're interested in becoming a private beta tester for Microsoft, you
can have a look at http://beta.microsoft.com.  If you sign in using the
guest account, you'll get lots of information about becomming a beta tester
for Microsoft.  This is a great way of getting accessibility information to
Microsoft, as even though they mostly want to incorperate accessibility into
their products, they sometimes don't know the best way of going about it.
However, the standard health warning applies, in that beta software is not
release quality software.  You expect it to have bugs, and this is something
you have to be prepared to deal with, but if those bugs are accessibility
bugs, at least you have the opportunity to report them direct to Microsoft
and get them fixed.

Will