[iyonix-support] Re: Unstable Iyonix

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 18:48:45 +0100

On 20/05/2011 08:46, root wrote:
After a couple of weeks the disc started showing more severe symptoms.
In the end all the free space on the DiamondMax disk disappeared,
despite there being no significant change in the number of files on the
disk.

You didn't by any chance run a DiscKnight repair with recover deleted data ticked? As that will turn all free space on the disc into a small number of files in Lost+Found (which can then be manually examined to recover deleted files).

If not, then I don't know of any disc failure mode that would get rid of free space without preventing access to the used part of the disc - the hardware doesn't know there is any difference.

The stability of the Iyonix has improved considerably since then. I
guess that the Maxtor DiamondMax PATA drives are not compatible with the
Iyonix.

That is the type which was supplied with many Iyonix PCs.

Does anyone have suggestions for hard drives that work well in an Iyonix
and are still for sale in the UK or the Netherlands?

I'm still on the original 80GB and several identical backup drives in caddies. All well past their sell by date now, so should really be replaced before they give up the ghost.

Cheers
---David

--
Email: druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx