[iyonix-support] Re: Unstable Iyonix

  • From: root <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 15:23:38 +0200

In message <4DD6CA8C.9090602@xxxxxxxxxx>
          John Ballance <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Hi
>
>ever thought you might not actually have a 'perfect' example of the drive?

The drive was in a USB case before it put it into the Iyonix. It was
formatted to a MacOSX format and seemed to work fine. Before I removed
the drive from the enclosure I checked it with the MacOSX disk utility.
It verified OK and the SMART status was OK too. Once formatted
(intialised) under RISC OS it verified OK too.

This doesn't rule out that the drive that was below par to start with,
nor that it got worse once in the Iyonix.

>Also, as time went on, various drive types, depending on the installed
>drive firmware version, went from good to bad to good.. etc

This, of course could be the case. Unfortunately there are too many
variables to be sure. Thus, it would be useful for me to know of a
current drive that is known to work in an Iyonix. At least I could check
if I could source one locally.

The drive I have had problems with is a Maxtor DiamondMax 21 Model
STM380215A.

Regards
Stan

--