[iyonix-support] Re: Unstable Iyonix

  • From: root <root@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 21:40:02 +0200

In message <4DD6A97D.5030005@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On 20/05/2011 08:46, root wrote:
>> After a couple of weeks the disc started showing more severe symptoms.
>> In the end all the free space on the DiamondMax disk disappeared,
>> despite there being no significant change in the number of files on the
>> disk.
>
>You didn't by any chance run a DiscKnight repair with recover deleted
>data ticked? As that will turn all free space on the disc into a small
>number of files in Lost+Found (which can then be manually examined to
>recover deleted files).

Maybe that is what I did.

>If not, then I don't know of any disc failure mode that would get rid of
>free space without preventing access to the used part of the disc - the
>hardware doesn't know there is any difference.

I guess I should have read the manual, but it didn't occur to me that
DiscKnight might have taken up all the free space. I did have a look at
the Lost+Found folder and checked the size of the files in it using
DiskSpace. This gave the size of the Lost+Found folder as a few tens of
MB not the 40GB of 'missing' free space.

>> The stability of the Iyonix has improved considerably since then. I
>> guess that the Maxtor DiamondMax PATA drives are not compatible with the
>> Iyonix.
>
>That is the type which was supplied with many Iyonix PCs.

Curious. As soon as I put it in I started having problems with MessPro
after which I'd have to run a *checkmap on the drive. This would stall
every now and again occasionally locking the machine up.

I also got repeated filecore errors which most of the time required the
machine to be hard reset (killing filecore and adfs and reinit'ing adfs
would not recover the machine). The two usual culprits were MessPro and
Netsurf. MessPro just would not work properly on the new drive.

>> Does anyone have suggestions for hard drives that work well in an Iyonix
>> and are still for sale in the UK or the Netherlands?
>
>I'm still on the original 80GB and several identical backup drives in
>caddies. All well past their sell by date now, so should really be
>replaced before they give up the ghost.

I replaced my 80GB (which had been replaced under warranty) with a 40GB
drive a few years ago, the only smallish drive that anyone near me had
in stock at the time. The 40GB drive verified ok recently so I am
assuming I have a little bit more time.

I also tried out a couple of LaCie USB hard drives I had today. I could
never get the Iyonix to recognise them but with RO 5.16 and Fat32fs they
now both work a treat. I can back up non RO-specific files directly
without having to hook them up to a NAS/Mac mini on the network. So
thanks to all developers concerned for these improvements.

Any other suggestions for current Iyonix friendly IDE drives other than
the DiamondMax pata drives? My local PC shop might be able to source
some for me, if I know what to ask for. Or I could try and find one in
either the Netherlands or the UK during my next visit.

 Cheers
  Stan
--
Stan Williams &