[iyonix-support] Re: USB hard drive

  • From: Chris <smart1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 12:53:33 +0000 (GMT)

In article <5e8aa1424f.tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In message of 16 Nov, Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I currently use a APDL Datasafe, connected to a networked RiscPC.
> > What do other users use?

> I know nothing about datasafes but two or three years ago I tried
> all forms of networked drives and networking techniques to back up
> my Iyonix. All were either too slow or the transfers crashed during
> processing.

I find that transfers to/from the NSLU2 over ethernet run at an
acceptable speed, obviously slower that direct hard drive - hard
drive. Never had any problems with crashing (using LanMan98).

> What I currently use is a cradle mounted disc drive in the Iyo.
> This makes for fast transfer, disc to disc.  But still the various
> backup programs fail, usually with some archived or compressed file
> that something tries to unarchive.

> So I now have two drives on cradles and swap them.  I reformat the
> oldest drive each time and then do a direct copy of the whole thing.
> This works well with no failures, though it takes a few hours.

I also use the caddy system. Some tips are to quit SparkFs (or
whatever is your archiver/dearchiver), which prevents the copy
process going into zips etc. Also quit all apps that are unnecessary,
since open files can be a problem. One tip here is to check !Run
files of any running apps to ensure there are no spurious line feeds
at the end, which cause the !Run file to be kept open until the app
is quit.

I found that David Pillings SyncDiscs is more susceptible to machine
hangs due to its non-multitasking nature. I have converted to using
!DirSync, which does multitask during the backup. It generally
requires more user intervention, but has a wide range of options for
what to copy and not to copy etc. It also has an option to not look
into archives so you can leave SparkFS running.

> My only objection to these cradle mounted drives is that the fans
> are very noisy compared to the normal Iyo experience.

Yes - mine sound like a jumbo jet taking off! The other problem
(certainly with mine) is that the Iyonix must be powered down to
either insert or remove a caddy drive. I normally have the caddy
empty (mainly because of the noise), so a backup requires a
shutdown/restart, which is an additional 'hurdle' when you are
working on various projects, and normally leave the machine running
24/7. I know also that some users of Iyonix (not me fortunately) have
problems with powering up and rebooting.

--
Chris Johnson