[iyonix-support] Re: USB hard drive

  • From: Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 11:47:49 GMT

On 16 Nov 2007  Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Chris Evans <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Thu 15 Nov, Chris wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been offered a Lacie 500Gb USB 2.0 external hard-drive.  Can
>>> anyone tell me if it will work with my Iyonix?

>> Yes but!

> [Snip]

> Thank you Chris - as usual a very helpful and enlightening reply.
> You've given enough information to buy from you with confidence or to
> go my own way if I prefer.

> I'm tempted to go the CJE route but have seen other NAS storage
> solutions (without CJE support, of course) starting at under a tenner.
> Eg. an Iyomega StorCenter NAS 250Gb hard drive with 2 USB expansion
> ports, or a LanStorage NAS/USB 3.5" HDD enclosure (I've got a suitable
> discdrive) - both around £30.00.

> I currently use a APDL Datasafe, connected to a networked RiscPC.  What
> do other users use?

I don't want to talk Chris out of a sale, but there's another way if
you have a Windows machine networked. I have a USB drive which I
attach to the networked Windows laptop for backups, and the Iyo can
see this as a share under LanMan98. You do have to be a bit careful
with the "notypes" option in LanMan though.

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter   \   /                 \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
Anne     \ / __            __  \                              England.