[iyonix-support] Re: USB hard drive

  • From: Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:19:46 +0000 (GMT)

Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Chris <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I currently use a APDL Datasafe, connected to a networked RiscPC.
> > What do other users use?

> What I currently use is a cradle mounted disc drive in the Iyo.  This
> makes for fast transfer, disc to disc.

> My only objection to these cradle mounted drives is that the fans are
> very noisy compared to the normal Iyo experience.

Thanks for all the shared advice.  I decided to buy a removeable cradle
from CJE (and mine isn't noisy).

Once installed, this caddy system works well.  You could install
caddies in several computers and have more than one removeable drive to
share between them.  Alternatively you can, of course, back up all your
computers to just one removeable drive in one computer via your LAN.

But it took me the best part of a day to install.  (CJE: some
purchasers might appreciate some notes to help them do this, eg. which
cables to connect, how to set the drive's jumper link, and how to
reformat a PC drive.)

Problem 1:  My X312 Iyonix was supplied crammed with excessive lengths
of spare cabling, much of it stuffed into the spare 5.25" bay, so my
first task was to shorten and tidy it all up.  My vision not being what
it used to be, repositioning the IDE plugs on the 80 way IDE cables was
a real challenge - I succeeded but I wouldn't recommend anyone else
tries that!

Problem 2:  The black plastic sprung door in front of the X312's spare
bay must be removed as it's smaller than the caddy.

Problem 3:  A reclaimed PC IDE hard-drive doesn't appear on the iconbar
until it's been reformatted, preventing one from being able to reformat
it in the first place!  I did mine in my RiscPC DataSafe instead.

Question 1:  How is one supposed to reformat such hard-drives on an
Iyonix?

Question 2:  My hard-drive supports 'LBA' and, by selecting this in
DataSafe's formatter, I was able to almost double its capacity from 8
Gb to 15 Gb.  What is LBA and is there a downside to using it to
increase a drive's capacity in this way?

Thanks,
Chris.

            Chris Bell, Wales, UK
  chris@xxxxxxxxxxxx       www.highpath.net