[iyonix-support] Re: UPSs and reflashing the ROM

  • From: Jeremy C B Nicoll <Jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 21:42:44 +0000 (GMT)

In article <52b4127d4e.davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is an interesting debate to be had about whether a UPS
> increases or decreases the reliability of a system, since, of course,
> the UPS itself can fail.

Hmm.  Do the cheap systems basically have the mains recharging a
battery while power from the battery is used through an inverter to run
the attached eequipment?  That is, in essence you're always running the
computer off the battery?

I've always wondered how the other sort - the ones that decide incoming
power has failed and step in to replace it can do so fast enough.  A
fraction of a second or even a second or two delay isn't really a
problem for room lights but is for a computer.

--
Jeremy C B Nicoll, Edinburgh, Scotland - my opinions are my own.