[iyonix-support] Re: !ROFS updated

  • From: george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 08:13:13 +0100

In message <71b65eff4e.davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <944519ff4e.acld75@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Just tried out v0.02. The card reader is a TwinMOS USB 2.0 device, the
>> card a 2.0GB CompactFlash Extreme III. Interestingly ROFS declared the
>> card format (formatted in-camera, a Sony DSC F828) to be FAT16.
>> Everything worked as advertised: I could access and view the card's
>> contents, and downloaded a file to the Iyo's hard drive successfully.
>>
>> 2 comments:
>> 1. The download (of a 3.3MB JPEG) took a long time: over 10 mins;
>
> Yes.  I think you'll find 0.03 much faster.  I don't think an
> application programme, as !ROFS is, can reach the speeds of
> built-in system code, though.

Fair enough.

>> 2. It would be hugely useful to be able to 'select all' a card's files
>> when copying; I could see no menu item for this, nor could the card
>> contents list be drag- or right-click selected.
>
> You're correct.  I have no plans at the moment to support saving
> multiple files simultaneously.

I think that's a pity. I'd imagine >2GB camera cards/drives would
comprise a significant proportion of the target media for ROFS. If so,
and bearing in mind the speed issues above, it would be very useful
IMHO to be able to select a card's entire contents and read/copy them
overnight, say (assuming you've doubled the speed of v0.02, 100 3-4MB
images would still take approx 8 hours). Of course I have no idea how
much extra effort would be involved in adding saving of multiple
files....

>> Looking forward with interest to v0.03 - keep up the good work!
>
> 0.03 is there now.  I'll try :-)

Fine - I'll give it a go.

George