[iyonix-support] Re: !ROFS updated

  • From: Dave Higton <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2007 22:39:09 +0100

In message <4efed02610tim@xxxxxxxxx>
          Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <5a29cdfe4e.davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Dave Higton
> <davehigton@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > In message <4efeca4edatim@xxxxxxxxx> Tim Hill <tim@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [Snip]
>

> > > I have a 4GB SDHC card. Is there any way ROFS can be adapted to read
> > > its FAT32 content?
>
> > AFAIK it should do so already.  Doesn't it?
>
> I'll try again...
>
> The machine locks up (waited for >10 mins) apart from the pointer, only
> removing the SDHC card allows the program to be ended. Would it help if I
> had one of those USB SDHC adapters, rather than use the built-in card
> reader?

First, a question: When does the lock-up occur - when you plug the
SDHC card in, or when you try to open !ROFS on it?

There was a bug in !ROFS whereby it didn't limit the cluster number
to 28 bits (FAT32 is only really 28 bits).  I've fixed than in my
version, but I want to test it more, so I won't release it before
tomorrow at the earliest.  The top 4 bits are allowed to be used
as flags, though in reality they're almost always 0.  It's impossible
to know whether this is causing your problem.

I hadn't heard of SDHC before, so I looked on Wikipedia.  The entry
shows some possible serious compatibility issues for cards above 1 GB.
Again, I have no way ATM of knowing whether this is causing the
problem.

Where does this leave us?

The best thing will be to try again with version 0.03 when I release
it.  If that still goes wrong, I'd suggest the problem is elsewhere
and it would be worth your while to get a USB SDHC adaptor that is
specifically compatible with big cards and standards-compliant, and
check that you have a standards-compliant SDHC card.

Dave