[iyonix-support] Re: RISC OS dir seeable on PC

  • From: Alan Calder <alan_calder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 11:31:46 +0000 (GMT)

In article <086501c725b6$e1fcb8a0$0100a8c0@PENTIUM18>, Andre van den Berg
<avdb@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,

> At the moment I can ''see'' the ''shared folder'' on my Iyonix but does
> anybody know of a program for the PC that makes it possible to transfer
> data from RISC OS to the PC?

> I use RISC OS (RISC PC & Iyonix) for all my publishing work but have to
> mail my dealers -with PDF-files- from the PC with, I hat to admit,
> Outlook.

Hi

Hope I understand your request and not telling you something you already
know!

How are you getting to "see" the shared folder on your Iyonix?  Where are
you "seeing" it from?  Your RPC or your PC?

Anyhow going the other way, RISCOS to PC, is relatively simple.  Depending
on your level of RISC OS on your RPC you may have !Omniclient available to
you - I think you have to have RO 4.xx for this to be true.  A better bet
would be to buy a copy of Lanman98 to allow which is an improvement on Omni
in many ways.

With your Iyonix you should have a copy of !Omniclient on your machine.

In both cases you can set up networking with your PC so that you can see
your PC's harddisk and push stuff from your RO machines onto it.

Once you have got this far, three machines networked, you will need to have
a router/hub of some sort to make it all work so why not just get them all
onto the internet using one ADSL router and there will be no more need for
OE!

See http://www.riscos.org/networking/riscos.html
http://www.riscos.org/networking/xp.html
for some useful info on networking RO machines

There's lots more but it's a start!  There will be problems, especially
with Windows XP machines but nothing insurmountable.

Cheers

Alan

--
Alan Calder, Milton Keynes, UK.