[iyonix-support] Re: Power supply?

  • From: Simon Smith <simon_smith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 13:41:47 +0100

In message <b537007650.MThompson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Matthew Thompson <mt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <4A4F85B6.10307@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > My Iyo Panther has been misbehaving, and I imagine that it's the power
> > supply dying. It has been occasionally hanging at start-up, needing the
> > reset button the get it going. Today the networking seems to have died
> > totally;

<Snip>

> I got my Iyonix power supply replacement from CJE , so they will be
> definitely able to help there.

Has anyone else continued to notice problems with their new power supply? I
reported Disc error 26s back in Feb2007, but these problems were banished by
a new PSU. These days, however, I find that exercising the hard disc heavily
- such as by NetSurf loading a very (very!) long history list - is enough to
make the machine freeze. With cache off, the same history will usually load
without problems. This isn't quite the same symptoms as I saw before - and
back then I didn't have a gynormous NetSurf history so it's not an exact
comparison - but it's close enough to make me wonder, and to seek to compare
notes with others. I'm pretty sure that NetSurf is the victim, not the
cause, because it's fine with shorter history lists, and there's /nothing/
else that rattles the hard disc as much as NetSurf does while it loads its
cached data. (You'd probably need at least 2 months's history data to
trigger it, possibly up to a year.)

I can also provoke the problem if I use KinoAmp to play lots of mpeg files -
but that can take literally hours of running from a playlist before it
triggers.

As the machine is otherwise OK 99.9% of the time, I haven't worried about it
too much, but has anyone else seen behaviour like this?

--
Simon Smith     |       A golden bird stands on a silver snake lying