[iyonix-support] Re: Pen drive problems after upgrading

  • From: Nick Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 16:31:23 +0100

In message <479332c74e.druck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
       "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 21 Mar 2007 Nick Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 3. Dismounted the pendrive and removed it. Then re-inserted it,
> > waited for the icon to appear, opened the disc and double-clicked
> > the file. ArtWorks reported an "Abort on data transfer" and quit.
> > NB - the file on the pendrive showed exactly the same size as the
> > original.
>
> What you are seeing is probably minor corruption to the file, but
> Artworks is very sensitive to the contents its binary files, where as
> corruption in text file may only be one letter, and go unnoticed by
> the handling application.

> > <Aside>
> > This also confirmed something I had noticed before with floppy
> > discs - long filenames that appear fine on the Iyonix frequently
> > appear truncated to 6 chars + tilde + digit + extension on the PC.
> > It appears that what DOSFS thinks the format should be is somewhat
> > at variance with what WinNT and WinXP think it should be.
>
> DOSFS's handling of longfile names is flawed and can cause minor
> corruption of directory structures but it only results in the long
> names being lost. This can be repaired with PC tools.

I reformatted the pendrive using the PC; interestingly, thereafter
ArtWorks file copied from the Iyonix without and back without any
errors. This has totally confused me, as I wouldn't have thought that a
reformat would fix this problem.

--
Nick Roberts           tigger @ orpheusinternet.co.uk

Hanlon's Razor: Never attribute to malice that which
can be adequately explained by stupidity.