[iyonix-support] Re: Pen drive problems after upgrading

  • From: "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:18:35 +0000

Iyonix PC Owner <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Tennant Stuart wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > Though properly named, when copied to my Iyonix via USB they become
> > weirdies like INOURT~9/MP3 with file types of &FFD or &FE4 - I have to
> > set each back to &1AD, then by hand rename to something like "In Our
> > Time Archimedes Jan 25".
>
> Using an USB stick / pendrive as a tranport medium from PCs to RISC OS
> machines always involves RISC OS's DOS FS, which has got a file naming
> scheme of eightDOTthree characters.

No thats the old version of DOSFS in Risc PC's, the Iyonix version supports
long filenames. I would have thought you wouls have noticed that!

> So even if Windows on the PC copies the files in good condition, with
> long file names etc, DOS FS on the RISC OS machine will just see the
> truncated version of the file name and thus lose the file type infor-
> mation.

No, they should arrive with the original names in tack. However there is an
issue where names are corrupted which is possibly down to failure to follow
the FAT spec by Windows (which we've seen before with XPs bastardised FAT16
with FAT32 root directory), but could equaly be something in DOSFS.

JWB is interested in the issue, so if you have filename corruption contact
him so he can get a dump of the directory and see what the problem is.

Cheers
---Dave

--
Email: druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx