[iyonix-support] Re: PCI or not PCI

  • From: Barrie McElroy <barrie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 15:49:42 +0930

In message <46821572.6080003@xxxxxxxxxx>
          John Ballance <jwb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi
>
> the notches in pci connectors signify the signalling voltage to use..
> notch nearest card backpanel = 3.3v signalling (iyonix)  .. notch
> furthest from panel = 5v signalling. (legacy PC and badly built cards)

Ah!

> both notches.. will adapt as required.
>
> iyonix HAS to use 3v3 signalling as the cpu cannot handle 5v signals safely.

Thank you John for this concise, useful explanation. That seems to be my
problem.

I really should use Wikipedia before asking qus, but without John's and
David's guidance would probably not have twigged the voltage thing.

> as a matter of interest.. some of the cards used in production iyo
> machines arrive with us without the proper key slot; I mill the relevant
> slot once I am happy the card design and chips on it will behave
> correctly at 3v3 signalling.

I did (very) briefly consider doing this myself, but even at the
physical level was concerned about damaging some tracks.

I am currently trying to negotiate a return of the product. If that
fails I can use it to upgrade an old PC sometime I guess.

Thanks
Barrie

> John

[snip]

Barrie McElroy             RISC OS, Iyonix & Chuditch country
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.