[iyonix-support] Re: Options for replacement HDD

  • From: Dave Higton <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 21:12:41 +0100

In message <53AC3C93.6080800@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>On 26/06/2014 10:34, Dave Higton wrote:
>> Things have moved on. I have a Sandisk 64GB SATA SSD and a PATA-
>> SATA interface from CJE. I tried the SSD first on the BBxM, using
>> the USB-SATA interface from the spinning rust drive that I replaced
>> a couple of weeks ago. Formatting went OK (but why does the RISC
>> OS formatter not show the LBA flag for drives on SCSIFS?) and I
>> copied over the entire contents of the new drive.
>>
>> Then I moved the drive over to the Iyonix with the PATA-SATA
>> interface. The first noticeable thing was "The drive was not
>> understood. Has it been formatted?" or whatever the words are.
>
>I would not have expected that to happen,

Nor I!

> did you try running DiscKnight on it?

I didn't think to do that until too late.

I have since run DK several times, including just now.  (The Iyo
has been powered off for some hours in between.)  At no point has
DK shown any errors.

>> So I reformatted it under ADFS (which does have the LBA flag)
>> and set it copying all the contents of the Iyo's HardDisc4.
>>
>> There is at least one bad block on the drive.
>
>What exactly did *Verify report?

I haven't run the command-line verify.  The GUI version shows no
error.

The errors only show up when trying to write to the drive.

I've tried it again tonight.  The errors are:

Disc error 20 at :5/0000000774DA3400

followed by:

Disc error 23 at :5/0000000774DA2000

The addresses are consistent.  I haven't attempted to translate
the addresses to a location.  "Free" gives the drive size as 60
Gbytes.

>> Since *defect
>> tells me that it affects several files, I assume that the bad
>> block is likely to be in the directory and/or map area.
>
>It wont be, you would either get a Broken Directory or a Bad Map error.
>Several files can share an allocation unit, so a defect can affect
>several small files.
>
>> So much for automatic replacement of bad blocks in the SSD.
>
>You should not see any bad blocks on the SSD during its useful lifetime.
>I suggest connecting to a PC and looking at the SMART health information
>using a tool such as Chrystal Disk Info. If there are real faults on the
>drive, it should be returned as defective.

I'll have a go at the weekend.

>If their aren't any real faults it needs to be checked if it and the
>PATA interface really is compatible with RISC OS. At the very minimum
>you need to do several *Verify commands from the F12 prompt (not a task
>window) and check that any faults reported are at consistent addresses.

Will do.

Thanks for your help.

Dave