[iyonix-support] Re: !Jiten

  • From: David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 06:29:12 +0100

In message <915a27454e.tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Nick Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>In message <cfc6db444e.pittdj+@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>       David Pitt <pittdj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> In message <5f49a2444e.tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>           Nick Roberts <tigger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> >I wasn't aware of that - it works fine under 4.02
>>
>> I believe I am missing some internal files. Edict reports as invalid
>> for a start.
>
>Try
>
>  http://ftp.monash.edu.au/pub/nihongo/#misc_r
>
>and click on the JitenF.zip link. This is a version of !Jiten with
>Edict already present.

Thank you, that is the complete application. Entertainingly on the
RiscPC, Select OS4.37, it fails to start first time around with the
familiar error :-

abort on data transfer at &039F2EB0 (Error code -2147483646 at line
7300)

*where
Address 039F2EB0 is at offset 00003288 in module BASIC

On the RiscPC this error can be cleared, unlike the
stiffed Iyonix, and second time around !Jiten runs. Odd, I thought.

[snip]

>> >Unfortunately, on the Iyonix (under Aemulor) it doesn't fail so
>> >gracefully - I get an "Unknown or missing variable at line 7300"
>> >followed by a complete machine freeze.
>>
>> Certainly does, and how. The extracted BASIC running in 32bit space
>> does much the same! Line 7300 is calling some machine code. So far I
>> do not see anything wrong with that code. I must be missing
>> something.
>
>You seem to have got further than I have.

Yes and no. I have not resolved the start up error, but I did make a
really interesting discovery. Jiten works on the A9home with Adjust
OS4.42. Both the extracted BASIC and the original wrapped absolute (with
AIF header checking off) work. The absolute is 32bit clean as reported
by Armalyser.

>I might try emailing the author and seeing if he is willing to let me
>have the uncrunched source code so I can update it for the Iyonix.

That would be good, I think we may have a foible of the BASIC compressor
rather than an original programming problem.

--
David Pitt.

Computing with RISC OS.