[iyonix-support] Is it possible to change the graphics card in the Iyonix Cube?

  • From: Terje Slettebø <tslettebo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 20:55:45 +0000 (GMT)

(Another hardware-related posting in my "Is X possible?"-series... :)
I post here, since Castle people hang around here, and possibly other
hardware-knowledgeable people, as well)

Hi again.

I'd like to use OpenGL on the Iyonix, and there exists a port of the
open source implementation of OpenGL for the Iyonix (IyonixMesa), but
unfortunately, it only works for the GeForce cards, not the FX series.

I do have a GeForce card around, so I was wondering if it's
technically possible for customers to change the graphics card in the
Iyonix Cube?

I did open the case (it's cool that you can open it without any
tools), and unscrewed the outside screw holding the graphics card, and
tried to gently remove it from the socket, but it seemed very stuck,
so before I damage something (or rather: "to avoid..."), I'd like to
know if it possible (probably), and I'd be grateful to know the best
procedure for doing it.

If possible, I'd like to contribute to the development of OpenGL
support for the Iyonix, but first, I need to get it working, myself...

Regards,

Terje