[iyonix-support] Re: Is a DVD-drive a CD-drive?

  • From: James K White <jacorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:54:21 +0200

In message <4ed92b6b21marthodgson@xxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Hodgson <marthodgson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <cd293dd84e.druck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    David J. Ruck <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 23 Apr 2007 James K White <jacorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> Errm... yes it does read any arbitrary video DVD. That is, will read and
> allow you to see the files on the disc and copy then or whatever.
> It will not, of course play the video (even my Wintel M/C requires a
> program to play the  movie).
>
> FWIW this Lite-On CD/DVD reader/writer handles pretty much anything I
> throw at it.
> Iyonix, RISC OS 5.13, no extras running other than normal Iyonix boot,
> plus HID.

Mine's a Sony DVD/CD R/W AW-G170A supplied by Castle last week, so
can't be faulted 8-)

> So, why does the OP machine not read DVDs ?
> I don't see why my Iyonix should be exceptional.

Tried it in the RPC which is not setup for DVD and not surprisingly it
behaves exactly the same as on the X100, that is, to get ANY
cataloguing of a regular CD, first click 'Dismount' which whirs up the
platter THEN click the iconbar icon. i.e. it functions well in a
roundabout way - with a CD. With a DVD, it's a non-starter.

I am guessing it is a missing soft-load module in the !Boot sequence.
Before I upped to 5.13, the boot sequence would hang a good seven
seconds on !!!!SoftSCSI. Now, the whole boot-up is so quick I can't
read any of it.

So, to cut out the waffle, what precisely are the modules that work
DVD? Also, is !HID involved in any way?

James