[iyonix-support] Re: Is a DVD-drive a CD-drive?

  • From: Andy Wingate <andy-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:43:59 +0100

In message <5e508dd94e.jacorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          James K White <jacorn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snip]

> Mine's a Sony DVD/CD R/W AW-G170A supplied by Castle last week, so
> can't be faulted 8-)

It is useful to know which particular model of drive you are using. I
note that this is the first Sony drive made by Optiarc (a 55:45 joint
venture between Sony and NEC) and while most success stories with the
Iyonix have been with Sony or Lite-On branded Lite-On drives.

It may be that the drive is not as compatible with the CDFSSoftATAPI
drive (or vice-versa) as non-Optiarc drives. When I first built my
Iyonix, I used an NEC drive but it didn't work brilliantly under RISC
OS so I ended up buying a Lite-On drive instead which matched my case
better while the NEC does sterling work as a FireWire/USB2 DVD burner
for other machines.

Although previously Sony drives were seen as a good bet for
Iyonix-compatibility, this may not be the case now and in the future.
--
Andy Wingate <URL:http://www.sparse.net>       OpenPGP key 0xC642BF8A
With his super power Superted brought the craft to a dead stop.