[iyonix-support] Re: Interrupt failure in EtherK module (revisited)

  • From: Gary Locock <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2007 23:10:02 +0000 (GMT)

In article <f1bbcaae4e.rik-mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   Rik Griffin <rik.griffin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> About a year (almost exactly) I discovered a problem with the EtherK module
> 0.18 that caused the IRQ in use by the network device to fail after a
> period of intensive use. I think Gary Locock found the same problem
> as a result of heavy use of ShareFS.

> Castle tracked down the problem to the EtherK module, and version 0.19 was
> released which seemed to cure the problem

> However the same problem has resurfaced for me, a year later, the
> difference being that I'm now making even heavier use of the network
> interface (3-4 MBits per second, constantly 24 hours a day). After about 20
> hours of this, something goes wrong and the ethernet device's IRQ (59) is
> disabled. Anything else using that IRQ of course stops working too (eg one
> of the USB channels)

> Reenabling the IRQ restores function to the affected devices.

> So, has anyone else seen this problem recently?

Hmmm.  Interesting.  Big file copies have been reasonably reliable until
recently, but I had the server stiffed on me a couple of times only last
week. Not confined to ShareFS; one was with LanMan98, albeit after a week's
uptime and fairly heavy ShareFS traffic. I can't be as specific as you are
about the details.  However I would say that 0.19 was a big improvement
rather than a complete cure for the Iyo's networking issues.

Gary

--
Gary Locock, Network Manager, Bablake Junior School
Coundon Road, Coventry CV1 4AU